Monday, May 21, 2012

Kansas City Weekend

Mary Sue and I had a great visit with my cousin, Phyllis, and her husband, Joe, who kindly allowed us to park our fifth-wheel RV in their driveway in Kansas City, Kansas, for the weekend.

On Sunday morning we met my cousin Richard and his wife, Lucille, for worship at First Church of the Nazarene, in Kansas City, Missouri.

After worship Dick and Lu and Mary Sue and I went to Red Lobster where we were joined by Phyllis and Joe for a delightful visit over lunch.

Dick told a story I had never heard before -- Grandpa had always farmed with horses and was very particular about caring for his land.   One day a man came down the road with a caterpiller tractor and started down Grandpa's lane wanting to show Grandpa the benefits of farming with a tractor.  Grandpa absolutely refused to allow the man to bring the tractor onto his land for fear that the machine would compact the soil so badly that it would affect the land's productivity.  Grandpa believed in farming with horses.

Later in the afternoon Mary Sue and I visited with my cousin, Royce, who lives in an assisted living facility in Overland Park, Kansas.

Since we have been living full-time in our fifth-wheel we have been able to keep in touch with our widely-scattered family even better than when we were working and lived in sticks and bricks.  We cherish our family ties.