Sunday, March 10, 2013

Daylight Savings Crime

(This blog was written five years ago on the occasion of  the "spring forward" of daylight savings time.  I repeat it because I feel the same today!)

I don’t like daylight savings time! The very audacity of human beings stealing an hour out of a day at a time of their choosing is shocking to me. Who do we think we are, trying to re-arrange the schedule of time established by the Creator in the beginning?

 Some conservative Christian groups get very upset when the "theory of evolution" is mentioned. Where are they – and their protests – when engulfed by the fact of daylight savings time? I’ve not yet seen any public demonstrations against this subtle but present threat to the time schedules to which we all are so addicted! It’s downright un-American, I tell you!

 I have no doubt that Daylight Savings Time is the result of a powerful but silent conspiracy by some secret chronological enemy of our "American way of life." What else but the threat of national destruction could motivate our entire nation to change its clocks, not once, but twice each year?

 Another demoralizing technique of this "daylight savings time conspiracy" is forcing all of us to get out of bed in the dark. It takes my body months to make that adjustment and, by the time I’m finally in sync with the clock, it’s time to go back on God’s time again!

Arising before morning light seems to me to be highly disrespectful of the Sun, our Great and Gracious Giver of Daylight. For years, I’ve resisted giving offense to the sun by not getting out of bed before it rises. Then, every March, daylight savings time requires it! I often wonder what great disasters lie ahead for humankind if the sun ever tires of our annual disrespect and refuses to shine. Eternal darkness? Global warming? Perpetual political in-fighting? It sends chills up my back even when the temperature is in the 90's!

Some have argued that daylight savings time makes it safer for the children who have to walk home after school. Well, what about their walk to school in the morning in the darkness? If they can carry a flashlight one way, why can’t they carry one the other way?

 Other people defend daylight savings time by saying how much they enjoy the long, sunlit summer evenings. Perhaps, but those who make backyard grills, leisure equipment, gas stations and oil companies are the ones who really benefit from this re-arrangement of time! Whatever its recreational, political or economic benefits, I consider Daylight Savings Time an unnecessary nuisance – or worse. And I don’t like it!

17Mar2008 - mshr